April 15, 2009

We Really Are Not How We Are Seen.

Have you ever gone on a job interview fully qualified and dressed to the nines? Given 10 minutes to sell yourself and convince them that you are the right candidate for the job, only to find out that after waiting painstakingly for two weeks, you didn't get it?
Have you ever been shopping and watched a salesperson fawn over a nice looking man or woman, then when it's your turn in line, she is rude and obtuse toward you?
Have you ever been out in a nice club, met a man and he's buying you drinks, hanging on to your every word as you converse, danced a little and left the table to go to the Ladies room only to return and find he is dancing with a scantly clad other woman and he is now at her table?
Have you even found times that while getting coffee, you are overlooked as the next in line and they help another person standing a short ways away from you? These are just a few examples I have had happen to me several years ago. Sometimes, I have had problems with hairdressers. If I go in not feeling well and I am not wearing makeup and my hair is a wreck, I come out with a lousy cut. An old friend of mine who was a hair stylist for years admitted to me that if her client wasn't clean looking, or seemed to not really care how they looked. She did not put much effort into the cut. This is not to say all hairdressers, all men, and all salespeople demonstrate this behavior, but I have put it to the test and found in most cases these situations do occur. It's judgement! Our society is so judgement based on how we look, that what our worth to them is instantly judged. A friend of mine sent me this today which inspired me to write this post. The site is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lp0IWv8QZY and
it more than shows the attitude that people automatically have when one doesn't LOOK appealing in their eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment