April 17, 2009

My Kidney Transplant (Part One)

Today I want to let everyone know "The Mechanics of My Body" and what I am facing. My transplant will not be a 'run of the mill surgery' like it is for others. I am very prone to many complications. Some of which are the reason I opted to live with my spinal disease. My spine and medical history are such a complicated mess that a world renowned neurosurgeon did not want to operate on me 4 years ago. HE was afraid of what he would find and afraid infection would set in on top of not being able to heal properly due to the Diabetes.
Now onto the kidney. First, I am highly allergic to many different drugs, especially antibiotics and steroids. The antibiotic list is so long, it's easier to tell you, I can only take three. On top of that, I can't receive any steroidal treatment of any kind. I am so sensitive to meds that there is always a bottle of liquid Benadryl sitting on my kitchen counter at all times. I am even allergic to certain brands of insulin, I can only tolerate Novolog and Lantus. Before they came out, we had a rough time keeping my sugar in check for years, the Dr.'s were trying everything to stabilize me.
Second, I have suffered since I was 16 with a skin condition called 'Hidradenitis Suppurtiva', that is a medical name for infected sweat glands, but it has other conditions it can cause. In 1984, I had my armpits removed after the birth of my second son from having so many abscesses. You would think that would stop it...NOT!! It moves to another area of your body as well as makes your skin vulnerable to an infection if you happen to cut yourself or even bruise an area of skin. In 1994, a box fell on my right breast and an abscess formed behind the nipple. I had to have it operated on in 1996 due to constant flare-ups and the nipple infection re-surfaced with my last child's birth which was a C-section that also developed infection due to it being an abdominal surgery. It took until 2000 for the breast to heal inside completely and the C-section will reopen on the right side from time to time. Bottom line, any surgery equals automatic chance of infection, so my Dr. is very sure there will be complications. I keep my poor Dr.nuts trying to care for me! My kidney guy doesn't know what to make of me because I am a very poor candidate for Kidney Dialysis due to the intrusion under my skin. He is all for me going to John's Hopkins for the transplant. I live in the country. The one hospital we do have does not handle major issues. I am in third stage kidney disease and fighting to stay there. They cannot even give me the Dialysis in my sub-clavians because they are blocked from a slight cardiac event18 years ago.
O.k., fingers wearing out. Will write the rest later or tomorrow.
Carol

No comments:

Post a Comment