April 24, 2009

Friendships We Take For Granted...

I have a very close friend that I have known 35 years. I love her like a sister. Our friendship always sustained me. She was the Extrovert, I was the Introvert. But, we let our friendship fall apart 2 and 1/2 years ago due to personal reasons. I have thought of her often, missed her terribly, cried over her on many occasions. This morning I was worried because she lives in Horry County, S.C. where the wildfires are. My mind was thinking the worst. What if she lost her new home? What if something happened to her or her family? I couldn't stand to think that our last words were in anger and not respectful to each other. I had worried myself to death! So...this morning I called her mother there to see if they were alright. She's fine as well as my friend is. The fires were 30 miles away from them. I asked for her phone number and her mother gave it to me. I called her and as I was leaving a message, she beeped into me, then while trying to answer her calls, I started to hit the wrong buttons on the phone to talk. Finally, I stopped and it rang again and it was her. I was so overcome with emotion that I could hardly speak. Just hearing her voice made me cry with relief. We talked briefly and she is supposed to call me back. I have been trying to regain composure since. I can't turn the tears off. Even now as I write they are flowing down my face and my stomach is in knots. I want to see her, catch-up, laugh with her and most of all apologize for being such an ass!! I believe it's true that you don't know what you have in life until you lose it. We have a habit of taking what life gives us and just taking it for granted. This includes the people we meet in life and become friends with, not realizing that circumstances can bring about change that ends the friendship. I hope our friendship will mend, I want to work at it. But for now, I just hope she calls me back...

No comments:

Post a Comment